For the cupcakes you will need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup chunky or smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 2% milk)
For the Ganache you will need:
- 4 oz Baker’s German’s Chocolate, chopped finely
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1 and 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Hershey’s Dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar, on medium speed, until smooth and ligh in color, about 1 minute. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl, as needed. Mix in the egg. Add the vanilla and beat for 1 minute, or until the batter is smooth. On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and mixing just until the flour is incorporated and the batter looks smooth.
- Fill each paper liner with batter, about 1/3 inch below the top of the liner. Bake just until the tops feel firm and are lightly browned, about 20 minutes. There will be a few cracks on top. Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Carefully remove cupcakes from pan to finish cooling.
To prepare the ganache:
- Microwave half and half and chocolate together just until the milk is hot and the chocolate begins to melt. Stir with a spatula until all chocolate is melted and incorporated.
- Add the butter and continue to stir until smooth and glossy. You don’t want to stir too much or too vigorously because it will actually whip air into the ganache and we want a nice, thick filling!
- Let cool until it is easy to spoon into the cupcakes.
DARK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- Sift together the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder, making sure there are no lumps. Set aside. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder blend alternately to butter with the heavy cream and vanilla. Mix on low speed after each addition. Once combined, beat on high speed until creamy, at least 2 minutes.
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter and butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Mix in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add heavy cream and mix on high until smooth and creamy, at least 2 minutes.
- Prepare a large piping bag with a large star tip or use a large ziptop bag. Spoon peanut butter frosting carefully down one side of the bag. Carefully spoon the dark chocolate frosting down the opposite side. Squeeze down gently to get started. Pipe twists of frosting on top of each cupcake.
Optional- Decorate with half a Reeses on top.